WHAT IS PHENOL RED?
Phenol red is a water-soluble dye used as a pH indicator, changing from yellow to red over pH 6.6 to 8.0, and then turning a bright pink color above pH 8.1. As such, phenol red can be used as a pH indicator dye in various medical and cell biology tests.
USES FOR PHENOL RED
Phenol red has several uses, including:
- Most commonly, phenol red is an indicator dye, used as an acid pH indicator with a transition point of 7.5 (acid side to yellow / alkaline side to red)
- Biologists use phenol red in cell cultures as a pH indicator
- Phenol red has been used in the PSP test for kidney functions
- Most recently, medical researchers have discovered that phenol red can serve as an estrogen mimic and is used in the process of in vitro fertilization
- Phenol red is a dye used in automotive coolants
Allow Abbey Color to color your world.